Established in 1919 just after the first world war, it is over 100 years since Bert Gelsthorpe and Frank Pratt began an engineering business on Baldertongate in Newark.
Supplying their skills to local businesses they flourished and expanded into motorcycle sales and service, generated electricity for the town before the national grid was established and by 1923 added what was to become their main focus, an Austin car dealership.
The relationship continued with Austin as it evolved into BMC, then British Leyland and finally Rover. But by 1988 in a changing market the decision was taken to part company with Rover.
Which brings us to the present and the successful collaboration with Peugeot, now in its 33rd year .
By 1975 Berts son John found himself in sole control of the company, In 1988 under his management Pratt & Gelsthorpe become the main Peugeot dealer for Newark and surrounding villages.
That decision has never been regretted, and the addition of Peugeot scooter sales and service to the business marked another successful evolution.
With Johns retirement, Richard, his son stepped up and now runs the company, He, his family and staff ensure the personal service that has served the business well for so many years continues to keep generations of our customers happy and attracts many new clients.